Saturday, January 02, 2010

Happy New Doctor

I'm watching Black Books as Emma looks up the TV we're watching on Wikipedia.


The lives of Bernard and Manny seemed pretty tempting when I was twenty five-the misanthropy, the booze, the predictable sitcom structure. Now, it's still funny, but I'm 30 now and don't regard a bottomless bottle of cheap Rioja as the highpoint of civilisation. I've got an Ikea catalogue app on my iPhone these days.

If I'm honest I would have had the Ikea app then as well. I was born old, like Doctor Who used to be before it was reborn for the Buffy age. Actually, that's an out of date reference as well. Although let it be known that for all the good work he's done in repeatedly wiping out the Daleks, my main worry about last night's regeneration was that David Tennant would come back as David Tennant. Here's hoping the new kid is good at filling Tennant's Converse, and that they turn down that bastard orchestra.

I enjoyed New Year. Buxton is very lovely, all Regency crescents and massive hills. It was also encased in an inch of black ice, causing Emma much trouble in her nice shoes. I was fine, but when I caught her on her way pavementwards for the ninth time, I could understand why she did all that swearing. We ate pizza, drank cocktails in a nice bar and saw in the New Year in a dreadful pub where seventeen year old boys chased seventeen year old girls.




What a place. This is not to say it wasn't fun. I enjoyed strutting some of my funky stuff on the deserted dancefloor (I'm saving the funkiest stuff for the afterparty when I receive my knighthood) and watching the kidz at play was reassuring, in that they are just as useless now as they were in 1996.

So maybe I felt a bit old and found the beat of funky house to lack that which Supergrass have always given me. This was driven utterly home when, after two hours of boomp-boomp-boomp, the DJ played Rabbit Heart by Florence and The Machine. this I like - very Kate Bush, and I like Kate Bush. He decided, though, that one go on the chorus was more than enough and it was then back to boomp-boomp-boomp. And the bottled lager was gassy. But these are minor issues with what has been a lovely holiday. And it was nice to have a taxi driver who wanted to talk about spa towns at 1am on New Years Day.

New decade, new Doctor. My observations will appear here.

Good Night, and Good Luck
Doug

No comments: